The 5-person Team Relay runs along our traditional marathon route. The team relay offers a distance for everyone, regardless of your fitness level! This will be a great way to be part of the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon. Each member will be able to experience a piece of the beauty and challenges of the monumental race course that will take place on the Blue Ridge Parkway and in the Roanoke Valley.
Teams will not have to worry about support crews or transportation – transportation to all relay points and finish line is provided.
- Detailed Course Map (including start/finish line activities, event schedule, and more. Perfect to print out and keep handy)
The Team Relay Fee is set regardless of the number of members your team has.
- $150 if registered before 12/31
- $165 if registered before 3/17
- $180 through 4/23
- $190 onsite registration 4/25 (3-8pm). No day of registration.
Forming a Relay Team
We offer three different divisions for the 5 person relay.
Transportation will be provided for each member to the different transition points. Buses will load directly in front of the Taubman Museum of Art. Second and third leg runners will start loading onto buses at 7:00am and buses will depart at 7:15 am. Other relay team members are encouraged to assemble at the starting area to cheer on their teammate. Shortly after the race starts, (8:00am) the fourth and fifth leg runners will load onto buses and depart at 8:15am. All runners are required to ride the bus to their transition area.
Be prepared with food, water, and clothes as you wait your turn. It is each team’s responsibility to keep up with extra clothes and/or gear. Buses will transport finished runners back to the finish line once the bus is full.
Please Note- It will be the team’s responsibility to exchange the timing chip to your team mate. Each relay leg will run across the timing mat BEFORE the exchange. After the exchange the next leg will continue on the race course and this runner will cross the timing mat before the exchange to the next leg. Each runner on the relay team will only cross a timing mat ONCE (except for the first runner who crosses the “start” mat and then again before handing the chip to the second runner).
Running Two Legs
If a runner is running 2-consecutive legs the team must be paid in full. The runner running two legs must be entered twice during the online registration process.
The first runner will be given a Timing Chip at the chip timing pick up race morning. At each relay exchange point, the incoming runner will pass the timing chip to his or her team member after they have crossed the timing mat. No relay member can leave for his or her relay leg without wearing the timing chip. Please note that the Relay Team does NOT use a disposable chip. You will be charged for lost chips.
Team Relay Registration Instructions
Follow these instructions for registering your Relay Team:
- Identify a Team Captain
- The Team Captain registers the team (and members) via the Active.com website.
- The Team Captain must pay the entire team fee upfront. It cannot be broken down to the individual runner level.
- The Team Captain will need to know the following information for each team member to complete the online registration process:
- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Which leg the member is running
- Shirt size
- Once the team is created on Active.com team members are sent a confirmation link and prompted to sign their online waiver.
- Approximately two weeks before race day team captains will receive an email asking them to provide a roster indicating which runners are running which legs. This is a double check process to ensure no changes have occurred. You may not modify your lineup once your final roster has been submitted.
Registration for the Blue Ridge Marathon is handled by Active.com. Registration for the Blue Ridge Marathon is handled by Active.com. Online registration closes at midnight April 23, 2014
A. Relay Distances
Runner #1: 5.4M
Runner #2: 4.4M
Runner #3: 5.8M
Runner #4: 6.5M
Runner #5: 4.1M
B. 2011 Transition Locations
- Overlook at the Mill Mt Spur Rd/BRP intersection- exchange for legs #2 and #3
- River’s Edge Park/Roanoke River Greenway intersection – exchange for leg #4
- Reserve Avenue – exchange for leg #5
C. Transition Logistics
- Each location will have a timing mat.
- Advice should be given to each teammate on their expected pace to determine the approximate time they will complete their leg. This will speed up their transition time, and avoid congestion in the exchange zone.
- The announcer at each transition location will make announcements relative to the race time to assist the location monitors in lining up the runners in the exchange zone.
- All in coming runners to the exchange zone must cross the mat BEFORE transferring the Velcro chip to their teammate.
- At the finish – upon completion of the Velcro chip transfer, continue to the exit of the transition area where a volunteer will present you with your finishing medal.
D. Relay Monitors:
They will assist you with directional informational, guide you as you enter and exit the transition zone, and distribute your finishing medal.
- Monitors to be stationed 40 yards before exchange zone to assist incoming runner to the transition zone entrance.
- Responsibility will be to keep the exchange zone from becoming congested by following the lead of the announcer in lining up the runners according to their teammate’s incoming pace.
- Assist the outgoing runners to line up forward of the timing pad allowing the incoming runner to cross it where the Velcro chip transfer will take place.
- Relay Captain’s responsibility is to have a full understanding of the logistics plan and be in position to lead the monitors in their assignments
E. Supplies at each transition zone
- Signage for runner direction
- Timing mat [2-meter system]
- Water station
- Transition station