Congratulations to the winners of our Run With The Legends contest – Kelly Hollinger and Keith Barton.
BART YASSO: Dubbed the “Mayor of Running,” Yasso is one of the best-known figures in the sport. Yasso joined Runner’s World in 1987 to develop the groundbreaking Runner’s World Race Sponsorship Program, creating a vehicle for Runner’s World to work with over 7,000 races representing 4 million runners per year. Inducted into the Running USA Hall of Champions. Visit www.bartyasso.com to learn more…and to purchase his book Life On The Run.
FRANK SHORTER: Former American long-distance runner who won the gold medal in the marathon at the 1972 Summer Olympics. His victory is credited with igniting the running boom in the United States of the 1970s.
Shorter was featured in the 1998 film Without Limits. The film follows the life of Shorter’s training partner, Olympic teammate and some-time rival Steve Prefontaine. Shorter was inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame in 1984 and the USA National Track and Field Hall of Fame in 1989. Learn more about Frank Shorter at www.frankshorter.net.
BILL RODGERS: American runner and former American record holder in the marathon who is best known for his victories in the Boston Marathon and the New York City Marathon in the late 1970s. His victories made him a hero and secondary fuel for the running boom of the 1970s. The Bill Rodgers Running Center in Boston, Massachusetts is owned and operated by both Bill and his brother Charlie. The family run business has been going since 1977. Visit www.billrodgersrunningcenter.com to learn more about Bill.
Two lucky runners will join these legendary runners as the fourth and fifth members of their 5-person relay team.
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
- Upload your most inspiring running photo and then get your friends and family to vote for your photo. The photo must be yours or you must have permission (and be able to show documented proof of permission) to use the photo. Get your friends and family to vote for your photo (you may vote once per day).
- Submit a picture of the most creative display/placement of the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon logo. We’re looking for creative placement that tells other runners about our marathon. Get your friends and family to vote for your photo (you may vote once per day).
- Photos are accepted through January 31, 2013.
- Voting runs through February 14, 2013. Individuals may vote once per 24 hours.
- The top 20 photos in each category will be voted on by Bart Yasso, Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, and select members of the race committee.
- Winners will be announced February 20, 2013.