On March 23, 2021 the governor of Virginia updated his guidelines to remove the capacity of 1000 on outdoor events. This means the 2021 Blue Ridge Marathon is a go! We have also received commitment from the City of Roanoke to approve our permit and we’re working through the final logistics now. Read the current guidelines.
2021 Race Planning
The Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon is committed to bringing you a safe, in-person event for 2021. We will be implementing a variety of modifications and working with epidemiologists to offer a low-risk event.
For runners who prefer not to travel or are at higher risk for COVID-related complications, virtual options are available. The deadline to switch from the in-person event to the virtual event is April 17 at 11:59pm.
2021 In-Person Race Considerations:
- No refunds will be allowed. If we are forced to cancel, then the race will take place virtually.
- Deferrals will be allowed to 2022 at a fee of $20/entry. To defer your entry follow these instructions. The deadline to defer is April 13 at 8pm.
- Packet pick-up will take place at Berglund Hall at the Berglund Center. This is a temporary COVID-friendly location that allows for easy social-distancing and better ventilation.
- There will be a packet pick-up on race day. You will enter the Williamson Rd. and Bullitt Ave. entrance of the Elmwood Amphitheater. This entrance will be blocked by security and you will need to tell them you’re there to pick up your packet. Packet pick-up will be open from 6:30-7:30am for the full/relay; from 7:30-8:00am for the half marathon; and from 8:00-8:30am for the 10k.
- Race distances will have staggered start times. All runners will receive their exact start times via email, and on their packet/bib. Start times are as follows:
- 7:35am– Full/Double Lap 2/Relay Start
- 8:00am– Half Marathon Start
- 8:30am– 10k Start
- Full/Double Lap 2/Relay runners will report directly to their corrals between 6:30-7:30am. The half marathon and 10k runners will stage in the Elmwood Amphitheater for the 30 minutes prior to their race. You will not be allowed into the amphitheater more than 30 minutes prior to your race start.
- Separate corrals will be assigned with a maximum of 50 runners each. These corrals will start every minute until all runners from that distance will be released. All results will be based on chip times (not gun time) this year due to that modification. Your corral will be printed on your bib and you will be called up based on your corral time from the staging area.
- Aid stations will be self-serve, as you approach the aid station please put your mask back on, or grab one of the disposable masks available at each aid station. Food and drink will be re-stocked by volunteers wearing gloves and masks.
- Please wear your mask if you feel like six feet of social distancing is not possible at any time along the course (which shouldn’t be an issue).
- Please wear your mask in line for and while using the porta-potties.
- Medals will be laid out on tables at the finish line with volunteers overseeing distribution from a distance. Make sure you grab the appropriate medal distance (they will be labeled).
- No spectators will be allowed to congregate along the starting line, finish chute or in the amphitheater. The amphitheater will be needed for staging of corrals and recovery of the runners. There will be gates with security at all entrance points, we appreciate your understanding and compliance so we may host an in-person event.
- Live results will be available online to avoid groups congregating around monitors. Click here to download the live runner tracking and live results app.
- Food and Drinks will be pre-packaged at the end of the race. Please take one food box, one water and one soda or chocolate milk while leaving the finish line chute.
- Runners will have 30 minutes depending on capacity limits to distance inside the Elmwood Amphitheatre and up in the grassy areas above. Use this time to recover, stretch and eat and then make room for other runners coming in behind you. You must remain a minimum of six feet from anyone not in your party.
- We will host socially distanced awards ceremonies in the outdoor amphitheater. These will take place a little earlier than normal to keep people moving out of the amphitheater. See the awards page for full details.