Registration for the Blue Ridge Half Marathon is handled by Active.com. Online registration closes at midnight April 23, 2014.
- Total Elevation Gain = 1897 ft.
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss = 3790 ft.
- 2014 USATF Half Marathon Course Map
- Interactive 2014 Course Map
- 8 hour cut-off time
- Course Hydration provided by GU Energy
- Walkers are permitted and encouraged
- Corral Start System
- Overall Half Marathon winners (top 3 male and female) receive a gift certificate ($250/$150/$100) from Walkabout Outfitter.
The Blue Ridge Half Marathon course is not quite as difficult nor as long as the full marathon, but it is still a challenging run. Some will tell you the new 2014 course is America’s Toughest Road HALF Marathon.
The course begins easily with one mile of rolling hills, before taking its first turn upward as runners begin the two-mile climb up Mill Mountain. While full marathoners will continue on to the brutal but beautiful climb up Roanoke Mountain, half marathoners will ascend Mill Mountain to the famous Mill Mountain Star, overlooking the beautiful Roanoke Valley and — much of the course still to be run!
From the Star, runners will encounter a major 2-mile decent down Prospect Avenue – also known as the “old road” to the base of Mill Mountain. Back on the valley floor runners will have a two-mile reprieve before climbing Peakwood.
Peakwood is a tough climb through a scenic neighborhood full of energetic spectators. Be sure to enjoy the party at the top.
After a two mile descent the course flattens out as you make your way to the finish line in Elmwood Park. The full marathon runners will branch off to the left just before mile 13 letting you finish in solitude.
- Water/Aid stations located at miles: 1.1, 2.7, 3.5, 5.1, 6.4, 7.8, 8.7, 9.5, 10.6, 12.3
- Restrooms also located at all water/aid stations
- Strategic stations will include food and GU
What you get:
- Chip timing
- Access to “runners-only” food tent at finish line
- Finisher medal
- Event shirt
- Customize the name on your runner bib
- Corral Start System
- Custom awards for age-category winners
- Fully stocked aid stations along course
- One complimentary beer ticket
- Live music at the finish
- Discounted ticket prices on main music event (TBD) that begins at 6pm
Registration for the Blue Ridge Half-Marathon is handled by Active.com. You will be directed to the Active website to complete the registration process. There is $10 processing and handling fee for onsite registration (April 25, 3-8pm). There is no day-of registration.