America’s Toughest Road Marathon™ isn’t a challenge for the weak-willed. It takes grit, determination and plenty of training hours to check this race off your bucket list. And a little help from your friends can go a long way.
There are a couple of ways to tackle this race with friends.
Create a Relay Team
The Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon might seem less intimidating if you split the epic 26.2 mile course into four sections. The relay team option allows four runners to tackle to course section-by-section. The hardest part is figuring out which runners will tackle which sections of the course.
- Runner #1: The leadoff runner will tally 6.2 miles, including Mill Mountain.
- Runner #2: The “beast leg” includes 9.1 miles, including the Roanoke Mountain Loop along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Runner #3: The leg includes the notorious Peakwood Mountain; it’s not the longest leg at 6.1 miles, but is pretty darn tough.
- Runner #4: The final runner will bring it home with 4.8 miles through South Roanoke neighborhoods and downtown Roanoke.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FOUR PERSON RELAY…
Run as a Group
Create a team that runs one (or more) of the five distance options together. This can be a great option for best friends or for an entire club, and teams are eligible for tons of perks. It’s free to start a team, and every team will have its name printed on each runner’s bib. Team benefits and perks include:
- Level One Benefits: Welcome Package (stickers, captain hat, & swag) and Eligible to Win Team Spirit Award
- Level Two Benefits: Two Free VIP Tickets, Eligible for Free Entries (1 per 10 team members)
- Level Three Benefits: One Free Beer Ticket Per Team Member and Early Check-In
DOWNLOAD TEAM BENEFITS HANDBOOK
Whether you want to run as a team, do the relay, or not….there are plenty of challenges to help you take part in the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon race weekend. Race options include:
- Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon: 26.2 miles of mountains, including 7,430 feet of elevation change
- Foot Levelers Half Marathon: 13.1 miles of mountains with, 3,790 feet of elevation change
- Blue Ridge Double Marathon: Two laps around America’s Toughest Road Marathon course – 52.4 miles – and it is sold out (watch for the double crew as they start Lap 2 with the rest of the pack)
- Anthem Star 10K: The popular option includes 6.2 miles up Mill Mountain and back down the old toll road
- Carilion Children’s Family 1-Miler: A fun run for any ability or age that starts allows participants to cross the official Blue Ridge Marathon finish line
Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon Races
- When: Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 7:35 a.m.
- Where: Roanoke, VA
- Why: 100% Non-profit race on a beautiful & challenging course. Plus misery loves company, so holler at your favorite SufferFest friends and let the challenge begin!